Thursday, October 9, 2008

Top and back

Over the past two days I have glued the top and back onto the mandolin. This was much simpler than I expected (as, in fact, most of the project has been). First, though, I made some spool clamps. These are expensive - about $20 for a set of six from Stew-Mac - but simple. Basically they consist of a threaded rod with a wingnut for tightening and two short (about 3/4") lengths of dowel. To do it right you have to pad the dowel sections with cork. Since this is so straightforward, and since I happen to have a full woodshop with a chop saw and a drill press, I made my own and saved about $60. They aren't as pretty as Stew-Mac's, but they're perfectly functional, as I learned and you will learn below. Here is a shot of the spool clamps all laid out and ready for the top glueup.



I cut all of the dowel sections at once, and then cut little squares of cork and little squares of waxed paper. I drilled the dowel sections first, and then made stacks of cork and waxed paper so that when threaded onto the rod there would be a piece of waxed paper between every two pieces of cork (to keep the cork, and hence the jaws of the new clamps, from getting glued together) and drilled the stacks with the same drill press setup. I then threaded them all on one threaded rod. There was a nut and a washer at one end, and then I threaded a piece of dowel, a cork/waxed paper/cork stack, and a piece of dowel. This sequence was repeated until all pieces were on the rod, when I then put a washer at the top and threaded on another nut. I tightened the nut, and presto! the whole thing was clamped and glued.


Lesson learned - if you do this, wax the threaded rod before the glueup. The dowel sections stuck to the rod in some places and required some effort, including a heat gun in two or three cases, to get them off the rod. Oh, and the rod was toocaked with hardened glue to use for making the clamps themselves as well.

These pairs of dowel were then threaded onto 6" pieces of threaded rod with a hex nut at one end (the fixed end) and a wingnut at the other end (the moveable end) with big fender washers under both nuts.

These clamps are invaluable for gluing on the top and back. With the cork lining you don't even need cauls.

I then glued on the top. Here are some photos:











And here are the results:













I did the back today. Photos:

1 comment:

Electrons said...

VERY GOOD JOB

http://kitaudio.blogspot.com/